Saturday, August 14, 2010

Heroes and coaches

We need a hero.

Jesus is the hero who goes out to win for us and do what we can never do for ourselves.

Our part is to recognize our need of Jesus as hero and to accept his heroic act on the Cross.

We also need a coach.

The Holy Spirit is the coach who comes alongside to cheer us on, encourage, say the sharp truths in love, empower, enable and push us to growth rather than infantile dependence.

Our part is to accept his coaching; to lean on him and to grow in him.

Hey … this is also a role we have to give other people and to accept from others.

To ‘accept’ means facing our need of others to do things for us and being humble enough to accept their service as they do that thing that God puts them there for, be it hero or coach,

To ‘give’ means knowing whether the hero or coach role is needed at this moment. And, not to stroke our own ego by being a hero when we should be a coach. Nor: to duck the need of the hour by not giving ourselves as a hero when that is called for.

‘Lord, give me the insight to know the difference between a hero and a coach. Give me the wisdom to know which is needed in the moment. Give me the wisdom to k now when I should be hero or coach. Give me the humility to let others serve me as my hero and coach.

No comments: