Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pray without ceasing (1 Thess 5:17)

Every Christians hears the call to constant prayer in 1 Thess 5:17.

It fits with the whole pattern of the Bible - that we are to live every moment and do every action in a spirit of worshiping God by depending on him to meet our needs and those of others.

How many of us do that?

Not me.

Prayer has always been a battle ground for me, for it strikes at my pride and reminds me of my weakness. For me, prayer has to be a matter of disciplined routines. It is not the natural habit that it should be after decades of following the Lord.

Not so for a lady that I met last weekend.

I went to a church in the area where I was ordained in 1979. As a lady left the church she commented on the sermon and said that she had been praying for me since I was ordained. And she has said the same on the two visits I have made to that church since leaving the area in 1983.

I thank God for that lady who has surely lain a foundation for whatever usefulness I have in ministry. I stand in awe of her example.

No comments: