Saturday, September 17, 2016

What did I miss?

-->
What did I miss?

 Early one evening I went for a walk through local streets. There were houses old and new, trees in stark late winter beauty and a man walking a pony on the path (oh yes indeed).

Then I came to a park with its old trees, sprawling grass and well-tended shrubs. Behind me was a view to the Sydney Harbour Bridge with its familiar shape. To the west - a beautiful sunset that halted my steps as I gazed at the rapid fade from bright orange to twilight pink.

There were others in that park - a cluster of 20 or so people poking about at the augmented reality game that was the flavour of the month. Their eyes and fingers were glued to the artificial reality of a screen. The beauty of the sunset came and went unseen by their eyes.

It's easy to criticise the Pokemon players and feel superior. However, there is also a question.

What do I miss seeing because my attention is on clamorous immediacy? What do I miss of earth's offerings, let along those of realms unseen? How much do I miss of God's fingerprints?  How can I better open my inner and outer eyes to see ponies on paths, sunsets in parks and more? How can I avoid being one of the seeing blind?

No comments: