Monday, December 12, 2016

Speaking the gospel in life and word

-->
Speaking the gospel in life and word

My wife and I recently took a lakeside walk. Along the way we passed a campsite run by a Christian organisation that caters to the sons and daughters enrolled in expensive church-run schools. We could hear teenagers doing as teens do by having fun as they played outdoor games. On our return walk we could hear them singing familiar songs of faith.

Then we noticed the litter. Some was concentrated in the public area just outside the campsite. We collected some to take home and dispose of through the garbage bin in the place where we were staying. I thought “kids will be kids” and (more darkly) "these are the sons and daughters of privilege, who know not what they do”.

Further along we passed and greeted some locals who noticed the litter that we carried and who remarked how the people in that Christian campsite didn’t bother to dispose of their rubbish properly.

Ouch! 

I can’t assess whether or not it’s a fair comment. However, I hear the words of Jesus: In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven (Matt 5:16) and of Paul: “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Col 3:17).

And so I am reminded that a wordless expression of the gospel is to consistently speak the gospel with my life as well as my words – and especially before the sons and daughters of unbelief before whom I profess my faith. Yes, that means picking up my litter – and so much more.






No comments: