Wednesday, September 30, 2020

On going to the gym (temporal and eternal)

 

Going to the gym (temporal and eternal)

 

Rather train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance. 10 That is why we labour and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Saviour of all people, and especially of those who believe. (1 Tim 4:7b-10)

 

As part of a physiotherapy programme arising from an injury, I have signed up for a local gym. Off I go almost every day for about an hour of various prescribed and voluntary activities. It costs time and money and, sometimes leaves me tired. It’s not always convenient to break the day’s activities and get there. But I go anyway.

 

Why go to a gym? In my case there is a mix of remedial and preventative aspects. Particular exercises help remedy the effects of the injury, some surgery and a lengthy period of relative immobilisation. Other exercises build strength, flexibility and endurance in the affected bodily parts and in my body generally.

 

The benefits are related to the motivations. After some months of physio and gym my body is returning well towards the pre-injury benchmark. I also have a much-increased level of fitness and general health which brings greater pleasure to life. It also opens new possibilities in what I can do, as against the alternative of letting injury and aging restrict me. As a result, I confidently expect to be physically fit to resume my pre-injury activities, including travel to physically challenging countries for ministry activities.

 

Nonetheless, this has a finite end. Whether through it another injury, illness or just aging, my body will hit a point where incapacity, frailty and finally death ends its strength.

 

So, even as I pay the monthly gym fee and head out to toil and sweat for the daily hour or so, there is an end to this. There’s a certain futility. All I am doing is buying time.

 

As Paul says, bodily exercise is of some value and, we might add, for some time. Its value is limited and temporal.

 

By contrast, a trip to God’s gym for training in godliness is of value in every way – both on a temporal horizon and for the life to come. As Paul also says, it’s worth the effort because my hope is set on the living God and the life that is in him.

 

There is no big secret in the equipment and routines of God’s gym. Its equipment is the means of grace such as Bible, prayer, sacraments and Christian fellowship. Its routines are to use these things on a regular and dedicated basis.

 

And of course, the parallels between the two gyms continue. The physiotherapist has taught be to be aware of pain and stress signs in my body and attend to them. Likewise with the soul. What are the signs of a soul in trouble that need attention? Again, having a skilled physiotherapist to direct my bodily exercises adds great value to them.  Likewise for having an accountability partner, coach or mentor in soul care.

 

Here’s the point. I invest daily time, money and effort at the gym from my motivations and for the expected benefit. If I do that for the temporary and limited benefits arising from gym, what investment is apt for God’s gym?

No comments: