Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Test

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realise that Christ Jesus is in you – unless of course you fail the test. (2 Cor 13:5)

Some in our congregation have the habit of a personal AGM to examine themselves before God. Here are some questions that can be used ….
Do I trust the mercies of God in Christ for my salvation or do I still try and impress God with my goodness?

Am I listening to God by regular deep reading of Scripture and meditation on it?

Am I talking to God in regular, deep and varied kinds of prayer?

Do I depend on God to meet my needs and bring them to him in prayer?

Am I turning my profession of faith into good works by doing what God says?

Do I act on the great commandment by loving God with all I am all the time and in all parts of life and do I love my neighbour, my enemy and strangers?

Do I play my part in the great commission by showing and sharing my faith on a personal level through involvement in some kind of outreach ministry?

Do I serve by giving generously of my time talents and treasure?

Do I allow others to serve me?

Am I transparent and accountable to at least one other person who is able and willing to ‘tell it like it is’?

Which of the above areas most needs my attention now and what will I do about it?

These questions useful in a year-end time with the Lord. They can also be used to track our progress or regress: ask if you are showing more or less of these qualities as time passes.

Let’s do as the Scripture says and examine ourselves as to how we are going with the Lord.

POSTSCRIPT: this is my last ministers message as senior minister of Orchard Rd Presbyterian Church Singapore.

2 comments:

TravelKid said...

This is an apt ending to your Minister's Message postings. I had always enjoyed your Sunday sermons, always challenging the congregation to grow closer to God and to become a better Christian. But I secretly wonder in all my many years in ORPC, how many actually listened and of these, how many actually put them into action. Its sad to see you go but I know that God has His timing and plans for you. May God continue to mightly use you where ever you are called to serve. Good bye David.

P.S. Just a passing thought. Have you ever seriously consider compiling all your sermons and writings into a book of sorts. Something like what Tozer and Andrew Murray did. To encourage and spur Christians to greater heights ? What say you ? :-)

david burke said...

Hey ... thanks for the massive encouragement re my preaching and messages.

I'm content to sow the seed as best I can and leave the rest to the Lord.

As to compiling my stuff ..... suggestion noted.

God bless - and keep going and keep growing in the Lord.