Friday, August 8, 2014

Swooning with the world


Swooning with the world

One of my morning pleasures is to arrive early at work and listen to a classical music radio station through the laptop as I settle into the day with Bible and prayer. This reverie ends with their swoon segment, about an hour into the working day, after which I switch to the job list. The swoon piece typically features an evocative romantic composition.

It’s my habit to turn away from the desk, close my eyes and retreat into a Cartesian ‘stove’ during this swoon. However, the retreat is often short-lived for the world intrudes. And so today, the noise of overheard jets, outside concrete trucks and a fire engine broke the swoon.

And so I wonder: is our calling to find retreat by fleeing from the world (if this possible) or to find retreat in the world?

No comments: