Thursday, August 5, 2021

A prayer on starting to read the prophet Joel

 

A prayer, on starting to read the prophet Joel.

Lord, I thank you for this book to which I turn today.

I read very different views about exactly what part of OT history it belongs to and so I guess that I must live with that unresolved.

I do know that it has the usual big prophetic themes of your judgement and salvation which lie at the heart of the eternal gospel. So, help me hear the warnings of judgement and not imagine that I am exempt if I prove to be a covenant breaker. But let me also hear the promise of your generous salvation for those who heed the call to ‘cry out to the Lord’, (Jl 1:14), ‘tremble’ (2:1) and ‘return to you will all your heart . for he is gracious and merciful’ (2:12-13) that ‘you shall know that I am the Lord your God’ (3:17)

What I also know is this book was shaped as you carried men along by your Spirit (2 Pet 1:20-21), that it is all-inspired and all-useful to teach, train, correct and rebuke so that I might be fully formed for you (2 Tim 3:15-17).

 So please help me approach this book with the humility that this is your word, that came to Joel, and which speaks into my life now. Please send your Spirit to illuminate me so that I can understand your word and it transform me in this day when your Spirit has been poured on all flesh (2:28; 1 Cor 2:6-16).

Amen

 

 

 

 

No comments: