Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Sounds of Easter

Consider the sounds of the Passion ….


Glad shouts as the king came to his crowd’s acclaim

Rustling as branches and cloaks were strewn

Secretive mutterings as the conspiracy was tested and refined to evil’s perfection

The breaking of bread and pouring of wine

30 clinks as silver poured to the betrayer’s hands

Clash of swords as the soldiers followed their orders

The spewing lies of the trial

The denials by the one called ‘the Rock’

Roars as the baying crowd sated its blood lust

Pained and gulping breaths as the cross was borne up Calvary’s hill

Clang of hammer upon nails and the crunch of bones and body

Silence … the awesome sound of his silences

The last words
My God my God, why have you abandoned me?
Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.
It is finished.

Earth’s curtain torn to open Heaven’s door.



May we have grace to hear God’s gospel in Easter’s sounds.

No comments: