Monday, August 19, 2013

Why I went where I went to church today.

I went to church today in Montreal Canada.

My church of choice was one I visited two weeks ago. Its a different tradition to my own, the congregation meets in an average building, the service is not highly polished, there are no musicians and the sermons are given by lay preachers of varying quality in the pastor's absence.

The alternate was a church I attended last week. It was of my own denomination, in a grand building on a prominent city-centre street. The service was presented with well-oiled precision, the pastor well-schooled, the robed choir was technically good and the thundering organ was magnificent.

So why go to the first church? Jesus is central, the Bible was taken seriously and there was a warmth between the people there and towards me, even though I had a taken a conscious choice to remain low profile. That's the kind of church to be.

1 comment:

mattkang said...

What an encouraging read!

Thank you!